Scratching, sneezing, licking at their paws—does your pet do any of these things? If so, they could have an allergy, and should see their vet as soon as possible to prevent their symptoms from getting worse. We see and treat all kinds of skin conditions and allergies in dogs and cats here in Lexington, KY. With allergies being so common, our doctors and staff have extensive experience diagnosing these issues and helping pet owners find the best treatment regimen. Ultimately, we want to help get your pet’s itching and other symptoms under control, so they can live comfortably and stay healthy inside and out.
Could your pet be suffering from allergies? Contact us at (859) 224-2287 or book an appointment online so we can help them find relief.
What Types of Skin Issues and Allergies Affect Dogs and Cats?
Conditions we routinely treat here at our clinic include:
How We Diagnose Allergies and Skin Infections
At Banks Veterinary Clinic of Beaumont, we have many resources available for diagnosing allergies, skin disorders, and secondary bacterial infections. We start with a physical examination and possible blood work, and may utilize any of the testing methods below for a more accurate diagnosis.
- Fungal culture
- Tape preps
- Skin scraping
- Impression smears
- Food trials
- Consulting with veterinary dermatologists for complex issues
Our Treatment Options
While there is no permanent cure for allergies in dogs and cats, we have many treatment options that can make your pet’s condition more manageable.
- Hypoallergenic diets (for food allergies)
- Hypoallergenic shampoos and conditioners
- Topical sprays and ointments
- Antibiotics to clear up skin infections
- Apoquel, an oral anti-itch medication
- Atopica, a non-steroidal, long-term medication for atopic dermatitis
- Cytopoint, an injectable anti-itch medication